Some of the women from the Endometriosis UK chatroom came up with some excellent ideas for surviving a laparoscopy. I am going to include some of my own in addition.
- Things to bring to hospital include: books, MP3 player/Ipod, magazines, big pants (post-surgery), your own sanitary towels rather than the hospital ones, earplugs (hospitals are noisy!), lip balm (lips are sore after having the anaesthetic tube), throat lozenges are good again for the same reason.
- Wear large baggy pajamas or bring nice relaxed fit jogging trousers to wear and a large t-shirt or jumper to cover your swollen tummy. Not wearing socks is also considered to be a good idea, since it is quite sore to bend down. Wear slippers instead!
- Demand plenty of anti-nausea medication. The last thing you want to do is to end up being sick.
- Demand plenty of painkillers, regularly!
- Rest a lot and remember that it will take a while for you to get back to normal.
- Be aware of post-anaesthetic blues which can kick in a few days after the operation