Sunday, December 6, 2009

Zoladex 'failing' or wearing off prematurely

The day before my 35th birthday was not a good omen. I was sitting at work in the afternoon and my pelvis and back started to feel....bad. It was a horribly familiar feeling. My pelvis felt like someone had poured hydrochloric acid into it and then ignited a fire. My back felt similar. I debated whether I should go to ballet and my boss said to go - not knowing I was in pain. I spent most of the class on my hands and into forward flexion as standing was too difficult. I cried on the way home and then took oramorph, codeine and volterol in that order. Sleep was not easy. The next day, my actual birthday, things were even worse. I could hardly stand and was having contractions and spasms in my lower abs. In the afternoon I went home to bed, but the pain was really bad and the spams were really strong. Eventually after talking to a close friend I phoned for an ambulance and was taken to King's. A&E were packed and I wasn't seen for a good two hours or more. I was examined, and put on morphine. Much to my surprise the gynae registrar admitted me and I found myself finally admitted to a ward just after 4am. I was then kept in until Saturday morning and administered lots of drugs including a new one for muscle spams called Baclofan.

It seems reasonable that the zoladex has worn off prematurely - I had recently changed from having a monthly hormone injection to three monthly, and it seems the three monthly one had not held sufficiently. Whilst I was at hospital they gave me another monthly injection early and we hope that will kick in and stop any further periods from starting. As it is I now do not know where I am in terms of a cycle and whether a period is imminent and likely. Since being back at home the pain has been awful, but then I got back on top of it again and slept like a baby. Now just feeling empty and hollow and rather low having missed all the birthday celebrations I was meant to be having. I really need to consider hysterectomy now.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Hi,

This is Vicky Silvers, I am an editor for Hospital.com. We are a medical publication whose focus is geared towards promoting awareness on hospitals, including information, news, and reviews on them. We would like to have our site included within your blog and offer our information to your readers, of course we would be more than happy to list your website within our directory as well.

vicky silvers
vicky silvers@gmail.com
www.Hospital.com

KC said...

During December 2009, I was undergoing a complete hysterectomy. I wish you the best for your endo. Sorry :( here's my blog on everything if you want to read it: http://kc-us-korner.blogspot.com/

Vica said...

I am so sorry to hear about that. Hope you're better now. I took Zoladex and things seems to be fine for now.