Sunday, December 6, 2009

Zoladex 'failing' or wearing off prematurely

The day before my 35th birthday was not a good omen. I was sitting at work in the afternoon and my pelvis and back started to feel....bad. It was a horribly familiar feeling. My pelvis felt like someone had poured hydrochloric acid into it and then ignited a fire. My back felt similar. I debated whether I should go to ballet and my boss said to go - not knowing I was in pain. I spent most of the class on my hands and into forward flexion as standing was too difficult. I cried on the way home and then took oramorph, codeine and volterol in that order. Sleep was not easy. The next day, my actual birthday, things were even worse. I could hardly stand and was having contractions and spasms in my lower abs. In the afternoon I went home to bed, but the pain was really bad and the spams were really strong. Eventually after talking to a close friend I phoned for an ambulance and was taken to King's. A&E were packed and I wasn't seen for a good two hours or more. I was examined, and put on morphine. Much to my surprise the gynae registrar admitted me and I found myself finally admitted to a ward just after 4am. I was then kept in until Saturday morning and administered lots of drugs including a new one for muscle spams called Baclofan.

It seems reasonable that the zoladex has worn off prematurely - I had recently changed from having a monthly hormone injection to three monthly, and it seems the three monthly one had not held sufficiently. Whilst I was at hospital they gave me another monthly injection early and we hope that will kick in and stop any further periods from starting. As it is I now do not know where I am in terms of a cycle and whether a period is imminent and likely. Since being back at home the pain has been awful, but then I got back on top of it again and slept like a baby. Now just feeling empty and hollow and rather low having missed all the birthday celebrations I was meant to be having. I really need to consider hysterectomy now.

2 comments:

KC said...

During December 2009, I was undergoing a complete hysterectomy. I wish you the best for your endo. Sorry :( here's my blog on everything if you want to read it: http://kc-us-korner.blogspot.com/

Vica said...

I am so sorry to hear about that. Hope you're better now. I took Zoladex and things seems to be fine for now.